Monday, June 13, 2011

Gobots DVD!

Last month, Warner Archives released a "Challenge of the Gobots" mini-series DVD, and when I heard about it, I made sure to pick it up right away.

As anyone who has read on my Gobots page knows, Gobots were actually my first love over the Transformers, so they hold a special place in my heart. They and G.I. Joe were my friends in some less than ideal times. Anyway, I have been looking for Gobots for years on DVD, and had no luck getting the bootlegs that were out there. The torrents I downloaded were okay, but most of the time there were problems, as well as things being out of order and an overall poor video/sound quality. I really thought that was the best I was going to get too, since Hasbro bought Tonka and now owns the Gobots rights. It seems like they would just leave them buried.

Fortunately, unknown to most Warner owns the Hanna-Barbera rights, thus owns the rights to the cartoons too (unfortunately, things still look grim for the toys). Anyway, that enables them to still re-release the show as they are at least trying out with this 5 episode miniseries that was first launched.

Getting to my point, I finally got around to watching it tonight, and it was fun. Sure, a lot of it seems really silly now, but it was great as a kid. They also really cleaned up and "remastered it" so the colors and lines were pretty good. I loved it and highly recommend it to any former Gobots fan. It is not as good as Transformers I admit, but it is still fun!!




See the link to the Warner Archive site for more info: Gobots on Warner Archive

No comments: