Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Philadelphia Comic Con

I got to go to Philadelphia Comic Con with a couple of friends on June 17th and it was a lot of fun. I have been to Pittsburgh Comic Con many times now, as well as some smaller conventions in Houston, but this was the first "Large" convention for me. It was cool to meet or at least see so many big name celebrities at the convention. The most notable experiences for me was that one of the friends I went with had a family member who worked the Zenescope Comics both and hooked us up. Anyone who knows me knows I am a huge Grimm Fairytales fan so that was unbelievable. I got to meet many of the creators as well as pick up many variants at good prices. I was really excited to get to actually pick up the Philly Comic Con exclusives there in person and at their prices instead of second hand as I have most all of the other convention exclusives I own.

Ok, this blog is on my Transformers website, so the other really big part of that convention I mentioned was meeting Mark Ryan, who did the voices of Jetfire and Bumblebee in the movies. He was really great and friendly and talked with me for much longer than I expected. I bought a print from him which he signed, and managed to get him to also sign the cover of my Revenge of the Fallen Blu-Ray I had brought along. In hindsight, I probably made an ass out of myself by saying I was more of a Gen 1 fan and not so big on the movies, but he was friendly about it, and didn't seem to be bothered. Sure I was being honest and was just saying what I felt at the time, but maybe I should have gone about that differently.... Well, anyway, he was cool and I have his autographs on display in my mancave.

Well, I met or saw many other celebrities, but can't say there is much to talk about. Well, I did almost get tackled by some girls that went crazy on me when I came around a corner saw Bruce Campbell, and tried to take a picture of him with my iPhone I had in my hand at the time. I didn't know you couldn't take his picture!!! Well, I think you can, but you have to pay for it... :p I know they are there to make money, but that was crazy. I also got to meet Lou Ferrigno (Hulk) He was nice but I don't think he wanted to be bothered, Jake Lloyd (Anakin of Star Wars Episode 1) hanging with Daniel Logan (young Boba Fett). Both seemed nice but seemed bored. I said Hi to both and they did the same back, but I didn't have the money to spend at that point and you have to remember they are there to make some cash. Speaking of Star Wars and money, I got to meet Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca) and he was really nice. I actually wanted to pay for his autograph, but they only took cash, and I was out. Credit card wasn't going to work. He was very friendly though, and I will probably regret it. Especially because I hear and could somewhat see he has some health problems. Hope he hangs in there. I didn't get to talk to him, but I got a friendly nod from John Schneider (Dukes of Hazard/Smallville). He was really busy with a bunch of others around him. Some noticable other TV/movie celebrities were there that I either missed entirely or were too far away was Burt Ward and Adam West of Batman fame (I did get pictures of the Batmobile though), Bill Goldberg from my watching WCW days, Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian), Margot Kidder (Lois Lane from Superman), and Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3). As for comic creators, it was cool to see EBas again and many of the other Zenescope creators. I also saw and took pictures of the already mentioned Batmobile, the Torino from Starsky and Hutch (a personal family favorite), the Delorean time machine from Back to the Future, the General Lee and a cop car from The Dukes of Hazard, and also the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo. I took many pictures on my phone and maybe at some point I will upload them to a page and post the link here.

This post got way longer than it was suppose to, so I am going to cut it off. In case you didn't notice, I had a ton of fun!!

No comments: